Internship Opportunity at International Criminal Court (ICC) Counsel Support Section
About ICC (International Criminal Court)
The International Criminal Court (ICC or ICCt) is an intergovernmental organization and international tribunal that sits in The Hague, Netherlands. The ICC is the first and only permanent international court with jurisdiction to prosecute individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and the crime of aggression. It is intended to complement existing national judicial systems, and it may, therefore, exercise its jurisdiction only when national courts are unwilling or unable to prosecute criminals. The ICC lacks universal territorial jurisdiction and may only investigate and prosecute crimes committed within member states, crimes committed by nationals of member states, or crimes in situations referred to the Court by the United Nations Security Council.
About the Internship Opportunity
The ICC (International Criminal Court) is seeking to engage the services of eligible and competent interns for its Counsel Support Section.
External Legal Teams represent defendants or victims before the Court. They are composed of one or more persons admitted to the List of Counsel and any persons assisting them (legal assistants, case managers, etc.). They perform their duties independently.
Duration of Internship
Interns are required to work full time for a period between three and six months (to be agreed to prior to commencement). Internship placements shall not be extended beyond six months.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of counsel, selected candidates may perform one or more of the following tasks:
- Research and preparation of background reports.
- Drafting memoranda, reports, letters, briefing notes
- All Candidates must have a relevant degree or be in the final stages of their studies at a recognised university.
- Candidates are expected to have a very good record of academic performance.
- Internship placements focus on candidates in the early stages of their professional careers.
- Practical experience is not an essential prerequisite for selection.
- Should there be a practical experience that is relevant to the work of the Court, it may be considered an asset.
- However, such working experience should not exceed 3 (three) years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Able to adapt to multicultural and multilingual working environments.
- Possesses strong teamwork skills (listens, consults and communicates proactively).
- Has acquired a good standard of computer skills (including Microsoft Office applications).
Knowledge of Languages
- Proficiency in one of the working languages of the Court, French or English, is required.
- Working knowledge of the other is desirable.
- Knowledge of another official language of the Court (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
In line with the ICC’s efforts to improve geographical representation among staff, nationals of the countries listed below are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates may apply by clicking on the link given at the end of this post.
Please note that you will need to have the following information ready in order to complete your application:
- A completed “Duties and Responsibilities Form” (refer to step 1 on your e-recruitment profile page)
- Motivation letter (maximum of 400 words)
- Two reference letters (one academic)
- Scanned copies of university degrees and/or diplomas
- Scanned copies of official academic transcripts that state your courses, results, and completion date
- One short essay on a subject relevant to the work of the Court (maximum of 750 words, single-spaced, typewritten)
To participate in containing the COVID-19 spread and in line with the measures adopted by the Host State, the ICC staff members, interns, and visiting professionals based in The Hague are currently working remotely.
Accordingly, the candidates selected for this position are expected to work remotely from within the duty station (The Hague) until the re-opening of the ICC’s premises.
They are also expected to work with their own computer and internet connection.
December 31, 2021
Click here for the official information.