The Madras High Court is seeking applications for the role of Law Clerks to the Hon’ble Judges to fill 37 vacancies of the same. Freshers are also eligible to apply.
About the Job Opportunity
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for filling up of 37 vacancies of Law Clerks to the Hon’ble Judges, High Court, Madras (both in the Principal Seat at Madras and at Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court, Madurai), on ad-hoc basis, for a period of one year.
Number of Vacancies
37 vacancies, both in the Principal Seat at Madras and at Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court, Madurai
- Age: Should not have attained the age of 30 years as on July 1st, 2021.
- Graduate in Law (under 10+2+3+3 or 10+2+5 pattern) from the recognized Universities in the Indian Union and recognized by the Bar Council of India for admission as Advocate or Attorney of an Indian Court.
- Should have passed all his/her Examinations, while studying law, within the duration of their course: Eligible to apply.
- Should have obtained his/her Law Degree during the academic years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021: Eligible to apply for the assignment as Law Clerk to the Hon’ble Judges.
Candidates pursuing Post Graduate Degree in Law or any other Degrees or Programmes requiring their compulsory attendance elsewhere are not eligible to apply for the assignment as Law Clerk.
Nature of Assignment
The assignment as Law Clerk is on full time basis. Law Clerks will have to assist Hon’ble Judges not only in the Judicial work but also in their Administrative work as follows:
- Reading of case files, preparation of the case including case summary and notes, chronology of events.
- Identifying facts and issues, questions that may arise or may need to be addressed.
- Research work including Case Laws, Articles, Papers and assisting in preparation of judgments, corrections and editing.
- Presence in Court during the hearing of cases, taking down notes of arguments and doing research on citations.
- Maintaining case files
- Preparation of research or academic papers, speeches, assistance in important conferences.
- Being aware of court procedures viz. method of filing of various categories of cases, provisions of law, movement of cases before and after filing, etc.
- Statistical reports including timely delivery of judgments
- Maintenance of books, other research papers and materials and such other works entrusted by the Hon’ble Judge to whom the Law Clerk is attached from time-to-time
Duration of Assignment
Initially for a period of one year from the date of their taking up their assignment.
Extended for a further period of not exceeding 1 more year
- Consolidated amount of Rs. 30,000 per month
- Only 50% of the amount will be paid in case of any force majeure occasion that may make attending the chambers impossible.
- Law Clerks shall not be entitled to any other allowances or perks.
How to Apply?
- Fill the application form after taking a printout of the same. No other application form shall be accepted other than the one hosted on the official website of Madras High Court.
- Candidates should enclose self-attested copies of all Educational Certificates including the statement of marks obtained in Law Degree.
- Candidates should not send Original Testimonials.
- Find the application proforma annexed to the official notification.
The application form must be sent by 2 means:
- registered post (Hard Copy)
- e-mail (Soft Copy)
- Registered Post (Hard Copy): The duly filled-in applications should be submitted through Registered Post with Acknowledgement Due and superscribed on the envelope as “Application for the post of Law Clerk to the Hon’ble Judges” and addressed to:
The Registrar General, High Court, Madras-600 104.
- Through email (Soft Copy): The filled-in Application Form (Soft copy) should also be sent through e-mail at [email protected] on or before September 10th, 2021.
- Registered Post (Hard Copy): September 13, 2021
- Through email (Soft Copy): September 10, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to submit the application form by any method will lead to the rejection of the application request.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for a viva-voce test at Chennai.