Kanooniyat Amendment Writing Competition, 2021 on the Transgenders Act (Register by June 19)
Kanooniyat is a legal website providing daily legal updates to its user base, comprising law students, law aspirants, lawyers and legal professionals, in the form of articles, opportunities and legal news.
About Kanooniyat Amendment Writing Competition:
This amendment writing competition by Kanooniyat aims to propel tomorrow’s lawmakers towards the field of policy-making. For the evaluation of entries, due emphasis will be laid on a candidate’s ability to pick out problematic areas of a legislature, their reasoning, analysis and research on the proposed amendment, formatting and language, and the quality of suggestions and recommendations.
The submission format and a sample amendment has been given further down, below. Additionally, the registered candidates will be invited to a session that will be conducted by the organizers to clarify any further queries.
The media partners for this event are Law Docs, International Journal of Advanced Legal Research, LL.B Mania. The knowledge partner is Sofia Bhambri and Associates and our Outreach and Internship Partner is Law Internships.
Legislature for the Competition:
We welcome submissions from eligible students on the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019. This statute has been taken keeping in mind that June is Pride month and this is an important legislature for the future of LGBTQIA+ rights in India.
Eligibility for Kanooniyat Amendment Writing Competition:
- We look forward to participation from students (UG/ PG/Certifications/ Diploma) from any stream from any University/ College/ Institute in India.
- Multiple entries from one participant are not permitted.
- Co-authorship (Team of 2) is permitted.
Awards and Prizes:
- Winner: Rs. 2000 + Certificate of Merit
- Top 5 entries: Certificate of Appreciation
- Internship opportunities to top 3 winners, provided by LawInternships.
- Free publication opportunity of research papers to top 3 winners in International Journal of Advanced Legal Research (IJALR).
- Participation Certificates to all the participants.
- The amendment must be written solely by the registered candidate (s) (co-authorship upto two is allowed), in English, and should not have been submitted for publication elsewhere.
- The minimum word limit for the reasoning for amended provisions is 700 words. There is no maximum word limit.
- All submissions have to be made in MS Word format and should be typed in Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
- Footnotes should follow the Bluebook 20th Edition and shall be typed in Times New Roman, font size 10, and 1 line spacing.
- The page margins should be 1” or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- All text should be aligned as justified.
- All claims of the author (s), in the body of the manuscript, are expected to be backed by reasons along with proper citations and shall not be mere assertions.
- Any violation of rules shall result in direct disqualification.
- The reasoning of the amendments will be scrutinized through plagiarism software. Permissible limit of plagiarism is 20%. The participants may also add new provisions to the statute wherever they deem fit.
For the submission format and a sample amendment, click here.
Evaluation Criteria and Weightage:
1. Identification and understanding of problematic areas (20 marks)
2. Application of legal principles, authorities and precedents (20 marks)
3. Ingenuity and logical reasoning (25 marks)
4. Lucidity and writing skills (20 marks)
5. References/citations used and formatting (15 marks)
Copyright of the Submissions:
- All the amendments submitted shall be the exclusive property of the organizers.
- The organizers shall be free to use the information/ views therein in any manner they require and deem fit.
- The decision of organizers in deciding the winner(s) shall be final and binding and no query, correspondence, etc. in this regard shall be entertained by the organizers.
- Amendment submissions incompatible with the above rules and submission guidelines will not be considered for evaluation.
- The submission of entries to the competition implies acceptance of the above terms and conditions by the participant(s).
- Kanooniyat reserves the right to cancel the event at any point before the conduct of the event. In such a case, any fee paid as registration fee shall be refunded in full to the registered participants.
Registration and Submission Procedure:
- Participants are required to register for the Amendment Writing Competition by paying the registration fee. (Link Mentioned Below)
- Once the registration fee is paid, participants have to take a screenshot of the same and fill the registration form.
- After they fill the registration form, participants will receive an email acknowledging the same from our end which will also have the submission link for the amendment. The registration shall be complete after this step.
- Participants will have to submit their amendment using the submission form before the deadline.
- The participants are required to submit their documents by 11:59 PM, 25th June, 2021, after which the submission form will not accept entries.
The participants are required to register for Kanooniyat’s amendment writing competition by paying the registration fee of Rs. 250 (single author) or Rs. 400 (co-authors), through the payment link provided, before the registration deadline, i.e., 19 June, 2021.
- Payment Link: https://rzp.io/l/amendmentwriting
- Registration Link: https://forms.gle/VddBCniiZ6YgiQCJ6
|Last date to register||19 June 2021|
|Last date to submit||25 June 2021|
|Declaration of Results||29 June 2021|
|Distribution of Awards and Certificates||30 June 2021|
In case of any queries related to this amendment writing competition, feel free to contact us at:
Phone no.: 7007873010, 8209992708
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]