Author : Alisha Rahman
Magistrate found the accused guilty of offence under section 469, 509 IPC and 67 of IT act 2000. He was sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for 2 years under 469 IPC and to pay a fine of Rs. 500/-, one year simple imprisonment and Rs.500 fine under section 509 IPC and 2 years imprisonment with a fine of Rs. 4,000 under section 67 of IT act 2000 . All sentence where to run concurrently.
Title & citation. Tamil Nadu v. Suhas katti In the AMM court ,Egmore ( cc No. 4680 of 2004
Bench. 1. Anulrj (CCM ) ,Egmore .
Procedural History. It is the only unique case achieving conviction within short span of 7 months from filling FIR. The Chennai cybercrime cell achieved the conviction. This case is landmark case in history of cybercrime management.
- Tamil Nadu v. Suhas katti was the 1st case in India where a conviction with the posting of obscene message of the internet.
- In the case , a women complained to the police about a man who was sending her obscene , defamatory and annoying massages in a Yahoo Massage Group .
- The accused also forwarded emails received in a fake account opened by him in the victim’s Name.
- The victim also received phone calls by people who believed she was soliciting for sex work.
Charge. The accused then started harassing the victim online. On March 24, 2004
A change sheet was filed under section 67 of IT Act 2000, 469 & 509 IPC before the Metropolitan Magistrate in Egmore, Chennai.
Analysis. The case of suhas katti is notable for the fact that the conviction was achieved successfully. All relevant circumstances, to read matter contained or embodied in it.
NOTE. 1. Imprisonment of either description for term which may extend 2 years and with fine.
2. Which may extend to 5 lakh Rupees with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to 5 years with fine 10 lakh Rupees.